Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Car Supplies

Open my trunk (back doors, passenger doors, sunroof...) and this is what you'll find under all the junk. This is not a list of things you should always keep in your car. However, it is a list of things I consider important enough to stay in my car.

1. Blanket and pillow
        Important if you're ever stranded. Also important if you ever discover yourself to be unoccupied near a park on a beautiful day. If it's hot, you can lay ON the blanket in a grassy spot. If it's cold, you can cuddle up UNDER the blanket on a bench or something. Options galore!

2. Notebook and writing utensil
        I have a bunch myself. I've got pens tucked into the glove box, pencils in the pockets on the back of the front seats, a Sharpie in the center console, and notebooks anywhere out of the way.

3. A book (or six)
        I've messed up my fair share of books keeping them in my car. Fair warning: Hardbacks warp in the sun, and paperbacks get squished. However, once a hardback warps it's done. Paperbacks can usually be coerced back into some semblance of a uniform shape.

4. Change of clothes
        Grass stains, random spills, getting shot by a water gun loaded with red fruit-punch drink.... you never know when you'll want something not-yucky to change into. A change of clothes is your ticket out of the brand-new white T-shirt the little punks just turned pink and sticky.

5. Scissors
        Not related to above punks. Sometimes you just need scissors. Like when you buy something in those annoying sealed-plastic boxes, or need to clip some strings off a shirt, or free someone bound with zip-ties or rope. However, as they are sharp, I recommend keeping them in the glovebox to prevent unnecessary bodily damage in the unfortunate event of an accident (knock-on-wood).

6. Baby wipes
        For the occasional exploding Frosty, something to clean up with is good. Baby wipes, Clorox wipes, Armor-All, whatever. Just get the ^#*$ing Frosty off my leather.

7. USB-to-cigarette-lighter charger
        Oh no! My phone died! I don't have a car charger, but I've got the USB cord! Problem solved.

8. Auxiliary input of some type.
        For me, this consists of a cassette (yes, I've got a tape deck AND leather. I'm awesome) with a headphone cord coming off of it. VoilĂ , escape from that horrible song you hate. AND since you've got your USB charger, you don't have to worry about your music player (iPod, mp3, smartphone) dying. Unless it's a Walkman circa Y2K. Those don't have USB cords.

No comments:

Post a Comment